Saturday, March 27, 2010

Families at Risk: Raymond's letter to the Press

Letter to the New Paper : Do more to help those in need

My letter to the New Paper on the above subject is published today on page 29. Check it out!

I refer to the article, “North West CDC seeing more needy families (The New Paper, 24 Mar).

Elected members of parliament and mayors have a moral obligation to serve the needs of all our citizens.

North West District Mayor Teo Hon Pin has been doing a lot of good work to help the needy, including those with mental illness, and I commend for his untiring efforts.

Undoubtedly, Dr Teo Hon Pin will bring a smile on these needy citizens.

Chronic illnesses have affected many Singaporeans across the island and have placed these families at risks.

In Ang Mo Kio where I live, I have seen several people sleeping at bus stops. At times, I have also seen Singaporeans who are mentally ill walking around aimlessly.

These are accidents waiting to happen.

If you visit the Ang Mo Kio Polyclinic before 7am, you will sometimes find find people sleeping overnight at the benches outside the clinic.

A few months ago, I met a couple whose two young children were hungry and had camped overnight at the premises outside this polyclinic.

I asked the mother of the children why they had slept there and she told me that they were homeless.

Out of sympathy for the family, I gave her $10 for breakfast.

For those who do not empathise with Singaporeans in need, I have this message for them: “ A real friend is someone who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.”


RAYMOND ANTHONY FERNANDO

No comments: