Friday, August 15, 2014

Model nursing home : Raymond Anthony Fernando's letter to The Straits Times:


My letter on the above subject is published in The Straits Times today, Friday 15th August 2014.

On behalf of my family, I would like to express my deepest appreciation to the staff of St Theresa’s Home, who have been providing excellent care and support for my 90-year-old mother.

Although my mother has to cope with age-related health issues like Parkinson’s disease, we have peace of mind knowing she is in good hands.

The nursing home has tie-ups with the Aged Psychiatry Community Assessment and Treatment Service at the Institute of Mental Health, which provides assessments and treatments to the frail elderly with mental health disorders.  This enables the home to better manage patients with dementia and Parkinson’s.

It is also encouraging that the home does not discriminate against people with mental health issues.

The administrator for the home, Mr Victor Seng, takes an interest in the welfare of the residents and makes it a point to visit them regularly despite his busy schedule.

My mother is benefiting from the love and understanding from Mr Seng and the staff at the home.

Future nursing homes should be modelled on St Theresa’s.


Raymond Anthony Fernando

No comments: