Friday, September 5, 2014

Great care from polyclinic doctors: Raymond Anthony Fernando's letter to the press


My letter to The Straits Times on the above matter is published today, Friday 5th September 2014.

I wish to highlight the wonderful support that three doctors in Ang Mo Kio Polyclinic have given to me and my late wife.

Dr Karen Ng, the head of the polyclinic, went out of her way to ensure I was given quality care.

Recently, when I urgently needed to see a doctor for severe shoulder pain, she replied to me promptly though she was on long overseas leave, and directed her staff to ensure I got an appointment without having to wait too long.

She empathises with me knowing that I have lost my wife, who also benefited from the excellent care by Dr Ng and two other doctors – Dr Christopher Chong and Dr Manoj – when she was alive.

These doctors did not discriminate against my mentally ill wife, but instead gave her encouragement, sound advice and treatment that made our polyclinic visits a breeze.

While I was struggling with insomnia after my wife’s death, Dr Chong comforted me and promptly referred me to a psychologist, so that I can slowly overcome the severe grief I am experiencing.

Singapore needs doctors like them, who can show empathy and are willing to go the extra mile for patients.

Raymond Anthony Fernando

 

 

No comments: