Friday, January 30, 2015

Raymond's letter to The Straits Times: Support and care in time of illness

My letter to The Straits times on the above subject is published today, Friday 30th January 2015.

During my recent viral infection, which lasted more than three weeks, several people rallied around me and gave me much-needed support.


The head of Ang Mo Kio Polyclinic, Dr Karen Ng, and her deputy, Dr Christopher Chong, attended to me promptly and gave me a letter stating the illnesses I was being treated for, so I could secure the much-need support.


They understood that I was isolated following my wife’s death, and assured me they would do all they could to ensure I got the services I needed.


Bethesda C.A.R.E. Centre in Hougang, through its social worker Anthony, stepped forward and got someone to spruce up my home after I revealed that after my wife died, all the support services we had in the past died with her.


Sharon Tan, Justine and her sister Vivian Chiu, who heard of my plight on Facebook, visited me and bought me a meal as I was too weak to walk.

I will continue to face difficulties in getting social support, but I am comforted to know that there are people who know how to lend a hand and feel for another human being.

Raymond Anthony Fernando

http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/forum-letters/story/support-and-care-time-illness-20150130


No comments: