Friday, July 31, 2015

Foreign workers who shine: Read Raymond Anthony Fernando's letter to the press


My letter to The Straits times on the above matter is published today, Friday 31st July 2015.

Over the past month, I had pleasant encounters with two foreign workers here. One is a doctor from Hong Kong and the other a Malaysian in customer care.


Dr Jason Lau, a medical officer attached to the Ear, Nose and Throat unit of Tan Tock Seng Hospital, had on two occasions, inserted a camera scope through my nose to reach my throat to check if a suspected fish or chicken bone was stuck in it. Dr Lau’s guidance and reassurance, coupled with his patience and care, made the intimidating procedure much easier to handle. His competence and knowledge revealed that two small tonsils in my throat were causing me pain. He prescribed medication that took care of them.


The other foreign worker who made an impression is Mr Nisook Ramalingam from the Singtel Mobile department, who goes out of his way to advise me on the best, cost-prudent options for my handphone usage at home and abroad. He returns calls promptly and because of his knowledge, I am assured of getting the “extra mile” service.


Their professionalism in ensuring that Singaporeans are well-looked after will slowly but surely help contribute to whittling down the resistance some have towards foreign workers here.

Raymond Anthony Fernando


 

No comments: